Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Text Messages Might Not Be The Answer

In response to school emergencies in recent years, Georgia College & State University has created a program called Connect-Ed in an effort to keep students more informed. Students are urged to register for the program so that they can be alerted of campus emergencies, severe weather, or campus closings; however, students predominately receive these alerts through text messages. In fact, they have to be able to text message in order to sign up.

Unlike most people my age, I don't have access to text messages on my phone so that leaves me out of the loop for this information. While, the alert messages are also sent via email as well as posted on the school's home page, the information still may not reach students. Honestly, how often do we, as students, actually check our school's website or even our email sometimes?

How do we help students without the ability to text message find this crucial information and can we really rely that students will find out the information in time if they don't have access to these options? I'm not so sure.

In my previous post, I discussed how other forms of social media help spread information to the public, but most students don't use items like Twitter. On the other hand, I think that social media could still be used, it just has to be tweaked for a collegiate audience. In what ways do you think we could alter social media so that it has a more direct effect on college students?

2 comments:

Ginger Carter Miller said...

Oooh! Hot button issue for me. I asked NOT to be on that alert thing, but they put me on anyway! Last week I got one that said TAKE COVER. Seriously?

Robert said...

Interesting question. We have it here at Auburn and get both a text and voice message. Recently, we had 8 tornado warnings within a 2 day period. I heard the tornado sirens and then, sometimes 10 - other times 15 - minutes later ... the phone rings.

It was the 3:00 a.m. siren that got me. I woke to the siren, yet was just about to doze back off ... and the phone rang. ;o)

I hope they'll at least offer the voice message version for you. Still, I find a good $15 weather radio and listening for sirens (if you're community has them) is the better path.